How to apply LUTs to your video projects with DaVinci Resolve
In order to use LUTs in DaVinci Resolve, they must be first placed in the LUTs folder inside DaVinci Resolve.
There are two ways to accomplish this:
1. Manually copy the LUTs into the specified location
2. Copy the LUTs from within DaVinci Resolve
Manually copying the LUTs into DaVinci Resolve
In order for DaVinci Resolve to recognize the LUTs they should be placed into the following folder:
Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > Blackmagic Design > DaVinci Resolve > LUT
You can copy the 3D LUTs there as a folder or you can copy individual 3D LUTs.
C: > Program Data > Blackmagic Design > DaVinci Resolve > Support > LUT
You can copy the 3D LUTs there as a folder or you can copy individual LUTs.
Please note that the above folder may be invisible by default on your version of Windows. In this case you will need to set your system settings to show all folders.
Copying the LUTs from within DaVinci Resolve
A much simpler and easier way is to copy the 3D LUTs into the specified folder from within DaVinci Resolve.
1. Launch DaVinci Resolve
2. After the software has launched start a new project or open existing project and than click on settings icon in the lower right corner (lower left in older versions)
3. Once inside the settings panel, click on Color Management on the left.
4. Than, click on Open LUT Folder
5. This will open the LUT folder into which you should copy the LUTs. You can copy the LUTs there as a folder or you can copy individual LUTs. Once finished copying, click on Update Lists.
6. Once in place your LUTs are ready to be used.
Using LUTs in DaVinci Resolve
Applying the LUT to a node
Applying the LUT to a clip’s thumbnail
Please follow these steps to apply a LUT to a clip in DaVinci Resolve:
1. Launch the Software.
2. Create a project or open an existing one.
3. Inside the main software window, go the the Color tab at the bottom.
4. Right click on either the node in the upper right part of the window or the clip’s thumbnail and choose LUT > Select your LUT. “Select your LUT” represents the name of the LUT you’ll be applying.
The LUT is applied to your clip.
Lowering the strength/opacity of the LUT
In order to lower the strength/opacity of the LUT in DaVinci Resolve please follow these steps:
1. Select the node on which you applied the LUT. To select the node, double click it.
2. Click on Key and under Key Output lower the Gain value
3. The opacity/strength of the LUT is adjusted.
Increasing the strength/opacity of the LUT
In order to increase the strength/opacity of the LUT in DaVinci Resolve please follow these steps:
1. Create a new serial node. Go to Nodes > Add Serial Node or click on Alt + S.
2. Apply the same LUT as on the previous node.
3. If the effect is too strong, you may adjust the gain of the second node. Click on Key and under Key Output lower the Gain value
4. The strength of the LUT is increased.